Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Voodoo and vampires in New Orleans and unexpected long stop in Austin :(


Port of New Orleans
We just stayed in New Orleans for 2 days. We have chosen a very nice hostel, India House, near Canal Street. This hostel is really great because you have a lot of space and you can plug your electronic devices everywhere. For breakfast u can order from the “outside kitchen” fresh smoothies, eggs and more. I really enjoyed this place. 

India house: breakfast area :)
In the city u get sort of a feeling that something mysterious will happen. The streets are full of little shops, cemeteries, freaky people and necklaces with beads. Voodoo came from Africa and Haiti to this city and is still present in the hearts of the inhabitants. We went to the Voodoo museum and I have seen many "cute" dolls. 

Voodoo dolls
Some people believe you should not leave a dead person unattended as long as it is buried because it can otherwise turn into a zombie. Yeah, zombies, voodoo and ghosts…
At night the atmosphere becomes more and more scary. The humidity increases, the temperature falls and the city gets completely shrouded in mist. In this grave alike environment real vampires wander around and try to get close to your neck... We have seen a few in a pub and some even got their cuspids pointed, wtf!

Mike in the mist.
The clubs sell green and shiny drinks and the girls don't wear too much clothes. Many strip clubs…
All in all a nice experience… 

Then we travelled to Austin (Texas). Again in a Greyhound..
In the bus I realized, that I got some serious health problems and that I have to go to hospital. We arrived at around 5 am in Austin, walked 1 1/2 h to the next McDonalds, had breakfast and then went to the next hospital. 

In the hospital, you really feel like in emergency room. They checked everything they can and beside that they all liked my hair...crazy
The asian nurse who tried to take my blood was very incompetent!! She could not find a vein and just sticked the 1,2 mm needle in my hand. This was the point when I shouted at her:WHAT THE FUCK!!!!

Then she said she'll call a doctor, ran away and left me alone for about 5 minutes with a needle in my hand... After all kind of investigations we left the hospital with an accurate diagnosis and significantly less money:(

Now I can barely stand up and have fever. The lucky thing is that Craig, a friend of Milton, is the best host in the world, a very talented cook and also a medical doctor. He took care of me now, which is more than you can ever ask for. Right now we have to wait until I am healty again and then we can continue our journey.
Bad things happen sometimes...

2 comments: